The Office of Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and the Arts; Faculty Affairs; and the Graduate School invite nominations for the Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring by a Graduate Student Award. This award recognizes outstanding undergraduate research mentoring by OSU graduate students. Recipients will have direct and significant involvement with undergraduate student researchers, a demonstrable commitment to the research mentorship of undergraduate students, and a record of effectiveness and impact with respect to undergraduate student research and success.
This award - previously offered jointly for graduate students and post-docs, has been separated into two different awards for graduate students and post-docs.
The recipient will receive a plaque with their name engraved on it and an award in the amount of $1,000.
- Nominee is a current graduate student in a graduate degree-seeking program at Oregon State University
- Nominee must be making satisfactory academic progress as determined by their graduate program
- Nominee must have provided significant mentorship to undergraduate students in research-related endeavors at Oregon State University within the past three years
- Quality of nominating letter
- Quality of additional letter(s) of support
- Nominee’s overall effectiveness and impact in undergraduate research mentoring as described in the nominating letters and nominee’s statement. Measures of effectiveness and impact may include, but are not limited to accessibility, dependability, guidance in the undergraduate student’s research activities and learning, and demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive and equitable research environment supportive of undergraduate student success and belonging in the research context and on campus.
- Quality of nominee’s statement and CV or résumé
The nomination period begins on October 1, 2020. All nominations must be submitted by 5 p.m., April 30, 2021. Awards will be determined in May 2021.
Nominations may be submitted by the nominee's graduate program director or unit chair/head. Students may not apply directly for this award. Each unit (as defined by university major code) may nominate no more than one nominee (total) per award cycle.
In the online nomination form, nominators will be required to prepare/upload the following materials as one PDF document using the following file name convention:
"Nominee's Last Name_Department_GRADMentor.pdf", and upload it through the nomination form.
- A letter of nomination from the nominee’s graduate program director or unit chair/head. The letter should address the nominee’s overall effectiveness and impact in undergraduate research mentoring. Measures of effectiveness and impact may include, but are not limited to accessibility, dependability, guidance in the undergraduate student’s research activities and learning, and demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive and equitable research environment supportive of undergraduate student success and belonging in the research context and on campus.
- Up to two additional letters of support from the nominee's undergraduate mentees that can speak to the nominee's mentorship and commitment to research.
- A statement from the nominee describing their academic and professional goals and overall mentoring experience including how they support an inclusive and equitable mentoring environment.
- A copy of the nominee’s résumé or curriculum vitae.
Nomination form overview
For questions about this award or any Graduate School administered awards, please contact our Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships team