The Jesse M. Bell Memorial Graduate Student Loan Program, created by the estate of Jesse Bell, provides loans for meritorious graduate students. These non-need-based loans are available on a one-time basis to domestic and international enrolled graduate students to assist with educational expenses associated with their advanced degree.
Loans up to $5,000 are anticipated and will be dependent upon the merits of the case, the loan demand, and the current balance available in the loan fund. Requests exceeding $5,000 will be considered on an exception basis only. The terms and conditions for the loan are as follows:
- 5% annual interest rate.
- Loan period not to exceed 10 years.
- $40/month minimum monthly payment.
- Repayment begins nine months after the student ceases to be enrolled for at least 3 credits in a degree-granting OSU graduate program, or on an approved leave of absence from an OSU graduate program, or enrolled at least half-time at another institution of higher education.
- NOTE: Receipt of this loan will impact a student's federal financial aid package. If the student has financial aid assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how this loan program affects the financial aid package.
- Graduate students in graduate degree-seeking programs
- Nominees must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 graduate credits for the fall 2020 term
- Nominee's previous and current financial support from OSU
- Quality of nominee’s statement of award impact
- Quality of letter of nomination
- Quality of nominee’s CV or résumé
The nomination period begins on September 1, 2020. Nominations must be received in the Graduate School by 5 p.m., October 5, 2020. Awards will be determined in mid October.
Nominations may be submitted by the nominee's graduate program director or unit chair/head. Students may not apply directly for this award. Each unit (as defined by university major code) is asked to only make requests for the most compelling circumstances.
In the nomination form, nominators will be required to prepare/upload the following materials as one PDF document in the order indicated using the following file name convention: "Nominee's Last Name_graduate program_Bell.pdf", and upload it through the nomination form:
- An itemized list of all graduate student financial support (including scholarships, assistantship funding, fellowship support, etc.)
- Statement from the nominee describing how a loan will advance their graduate studies at Oregon State University and the impact that will result if a loan is not secured
- Letter from nominee's major professor attesting to the academic merit of the nominee, anticipated degree completion, and endorsement of the nominee's proposed funding request
- A copy of the nominee’s résumé or curriculum vitae
- Verification (letter or email) from the Office of Financial Aid that the award amount requested is permissible based on the student's current financial aid award status and limitations
Submit a nomination
Nomination form overview
For questions about this award or any Graduate School administered awards, please contact our Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships team