The Water Cooperation and Diplomacy Programme is delivered by UPEACE, UN-IHE, and OSU.

Students will be able to choose from a project or thesis option, with further opportunities to specialize based on skills and future career goals. Students will be awarded an MA from UPeace and an MS from OSU for either a project or thesis option, and an MSc from UN-IHE only if they complete a thesis.

Participants attend the common and core taught element of the programme in all three institutions, starting with UPEACE, then UN-IIHE and OSU. They will focus on different areas at each institution.

  • UPEACE - Conflict Foundation
  • UN-IHE - Water Foundation and Conflict Management Specialization
  • OSU - Water Conflict Management Integration

An important element of the programme at OSU is the collaborative project undertaken by the students jointly as a group. This research project may be conducted within the scope of activities of the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) as part of the ICIWaRM*.  Completion of the collaborative project will reinforce the conceptual and theoretical background provided earlier in the programme, give students an opportunity to experience an interdisciplinary working environment, and help prepare them for real-world collaboration on water-related projects.

*ICIWaRM is a UNESCO Category 2 Research Centre headquartered at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Institute for Water Resources (IWR) in Alexandria, Virginia, USA. It is a consortium of U.S. government agencies, universities, and non-governmental organizations committed to working together in support of the strategic program objectives of UNESCO's International Hydrological Programme (IHP). OSU is an academic partner of ICIWaRM; UNESCO-IHE is an International partner.

Degree Options

Each option results in different degrees issued from the participating institutions.

Project Option

  • OSU project-based MS
  • UPEACE project-based MA

Thesis Options

Option A
  • UPEACE thesis-based MA
Option B
  • OSU project-based MS
  • UPEACE thesis-based MA
Option C
  • OSU thesis-based MS
  • UPEACE thesis-based MA

Learn how to apply »