Non-degree enrollment status is designed for students who wish to take courses but do not plan to pursue a degree. Non-degree students do not qualify for financial aid. Non-degree students are part-time students and are expected to enroll in no more than eight credits per term. If enrolling in more than eight credits per term, a non-degree student will be charged tuition fees as a fully admitted student.

Admission Requirements

Non-degree enrollment status does not require a formal admission process or formal entrance requirements. There is a $35 non-refundable application fee. Enrollment as a non-degree student does not guarantee regular admission to the university. Students wishing to apply for full admission should refer to the appropriate instructions for graduate admissions.

Computer Science Applicants

Non-degree applicants planning to enroll in Computer Science online courses must notify the department prior to applying. For additional information, please refer to Professional Computer Science Online Degree on the EECS website.

Non-Degree Graduate Status

If you have earned a baccalaureate degree and now wish to take courses without pursuing a degree, you will be designated as a non-degree graduate student. If you decide to seek admission to a degree program, be aware that credit(s) taken under non-degree status may not apply toward that degree program. Students must also complete academic residency requirements after full admission to degree-seeking status, regardless of the number of credits completed under non-degree status. Courses to be applied to the graduate degree must also be approved by the student’s major professor and the Graduate School when the degree program of study is filed. Detailed information regarding transfer credit policies can be found in the Graduate catalog. Any questions should be directed to the Graduate School at 541-737-4881.

International Students

If you are currently on a visa, please be aware that only certain visa types allow an individual to pursue part-time or non-degree seeking coursework; consequences of doing so may result in failure to maintain visa status.  Please contact the Office of International Services to check if your status allows enrollment: [email protected]

Summer Term

Credit hours are not restricted for non-degree students during summer term.

Student Identification Card

Registered students are expected to obtain a Student Identification Card.


To find out when you are eligible to register for classes please check the priority registration page for your starting term.

An active ONID account is required to register.

Corvallis campus students do not need a PIN to register. All distance students will receive a PIN from Ecampus after completing the online orientation.

If you are asked for a PIN and have been an Oregon State undergraduate student in the past please contact the Office of the Registrar to fix the issue.

Tuition and Fees

Non-degree students enrolled for eight or fewer credits are assessed tuition and fees at resident rates based on undergraduate or graduate course level. Payment of the health service fee is optional. Enrollment in excess of eight credits requires tuition and fee assessment at the rate for a regularly enrolled, fully admitted student. Summer term tuition is assessed according to the tuition and fees schedule on the Summer Session website. For additional information, see Cost of Attendance.

Financial Aid

Non-degree students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Grade and Transcript Information

Non-degree students are given grades, reviewed according to the University standards of good academic progress, and provided with academic records.

Please visit the Office of the Registrar’s page for instructions on how to order official transcripts online.

How to Apply

You can apply for graduate non-degree status by using the online application.