Outstanding undergraduate OSU students who have completed 105 of their required 180 credits (or more for some undergraduate programs) toward their degree with an OSU institution GPA of 3.25 or better are eligible to apply to an OSU Accelerated Master's Platform during their junior year. Postbaccalaureate students do not qualify for AMP.

With careful planning, students could complete a master’s degree within one year beyond completion of the bachelors degree requirements. Students admitted to the co-degree program must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better throughout their undergraduate and master’s degree programs, or they will be subject to dismissal from the AMP.

Successful applicants are allowed to apply a maximum of 22 graduate credits (taken for a letter grade and not including blanket-numbered courses), taken as an undergraduate, to both their undergraduate and master’s degrees.

These 22 credits are deducted from the allowed 22 maximum transfer credits applied to an OSU master's degree. Courses transferred must meet current graduate transfer credit guidelines (see the catalog for current guidelines.) In addition, those students in the Honors College, or in other undergraduate programs that require a thesis, may use the undergraduate thesis as a step towards completion of the master’s thesis. However, the undergraduate thesis would not serve as a replacement for a required master’s thesis.

Admission to the AMP is not automatic and will be competitive with students applying directly to the graduate program. Students must identify a graduate advisor prior to applying to the AMP. Students applying to a graduate program that requires a thesis for their master’s degree must have a graduate faculty member who agrees to serve as the thesis advisor prior to application. For students who are completing an undergraduate thesis, this could be the student’s thesis advisor. For students in non-thesis master's programs, the selected graduate advisor must be willing to work with the student to guide the scheduling of required coursework and facilitate the completion of the capstone project.

Applicants must meet English language proficiency standards per the Graduate Catalog. The following steps must also be completed by all applicants to the AMP:

  • Obtain the AMP application code from the advisor.
  • Complete the online AMP application via the Graduate School application website.
  • Submit a statement of graduate research or project objectives (essay of no more than 500 words).
  • Submit a tentative plan of study that identifies up to 22 graduate-level credits that will apply towards the graduate degree and include additional planned courses for the graduate degree. The plan must be signed by the graduate advisor. The program advisor may supply their program's own plan of study form, or the graduate student can use the plan of study form provided by the Graduate School. It should include the projected term of completion of the bachelor’s degree requirements. This does not replace the Program of Study.
  • Obtain and submit three letters of recommendation from individuals who are knowledgeable of the student’s academic background and potential for success in a graduate degree program.


Students enrolled in an AMP will be eligible for financial aid (Pell Grant) until they complete their undergraduate degree. Once the graduate degree is started, the student may be supported on a graduate teaching or research assistantship, or the student will pay graduate tuition and fees. The bachelor’s degree will be conferred after all requirements for the bachelor’s degree are met. The master’s degree will be conferred after all requirements for the master’s degree are met.


Will students receive any kind of documentation once accepted? 

Yes. Students will receive a pre-admission letter for their graduate program from the Graduate School.

What term are students applying for? 

There are two terms: one for starting AMP, the time in which undergraduate students are allowed to double count 22 graduate credits, and one for starting graduate school after the award of the bachelor's degree. These terms are typically one year apart. At the beginning of the graduate school application, students enter their graduate program start term. Later in the application, they are asked to select the term the AMP starts.

Can students use graduate classes they have already taken as an undergraduate before being accepted into the AMP?

No. Retro-actively applying credits is not allowed.

Where do I get my AMP codes?

Login at the bottom of this page. Once you login and come back to this page scroll to the bottom of the page and your codes will be listed.

What if I need new AMP codes?

Please contact the Graduate Education Toolkit.

How do students apply?

They use the regular Graduate School application, but enter their AMP code at the beginning of the process after creating their account. Please see the apply page for more information and a downloadable step-by-step guide.