Master's Degree Deadlines
Important: All master's degree requirements must be met within 7 years.
Before completing 18 credits of coursework:
Develop a Program of Study with your program. This is your plan for completing your degree. Speak with your advisor, department chair, or departmental graduate coordinator for guidance on completing this requirement.
At least 15 weeks before your Final Oral Examination:
At least 2 weeks before your Final Oral Examination:
Upload the final copy of your thesis (if required for your degree) to ScholarsArchive within 6 weeks after your Exam or before the first day of the following term, whichever comes first, to avoid having to register for a minimum of three graduate credits the next term.
Doctoral Degree Deadlines
Before completing 2 terms (if you already have a master's degree) or 5 terms (if you do not):
- Select program committee members, which must include a Graduate Council Representative
- Meet with your program committee to create a Program of Study. (Take to the meeting, the Doctoral Program Checklist, all transcripts, list of your eligible transfer credits, your program curriculum, an initial draft of your Program of Study.)
Preliminary Oral Exam
- At least 6 weeks before your Preliminary Oral Exam submit your signed program of study to the Graduate School.
- At least 2 weeks before your Preliminary Oral Exam schedule your Oral Preliminary Exam by submitting the online Exam Scheduling Form (after your program of study has been approved by the Graduate School.
Final Oral Defense of Dissertation
- At least 2 weeks before your Final Oral Defense of Dissertation:
A final and corrected copy of your thesis or dissertation must be uploaded to ScholarsArchive within 6 weeks after your Exam or before the first day of the following term, whichever comes first, to avoid having to register for a minimum of three graduate credits the next term.
Scheduling Exams with the Graduate School
Use the exam scheduling form to schedule examinations. Please submit your exam scheduling form as soon as you schedule your exam but no later than two weeks before the exam date. For guidance on scheduling a meeting, please see "How to Schedule a Meeting."
Continuous Enrollment Policy Applies.
You must be registered for a minimum of three graduate credits until all degree requirements are completed. To avoid registering for the term following your defense, submit the final corrected and signed thesis or dissertation to the Graduate School before the first day of the term following the term in which you defend. For details on this policy see "Continuous Enrollment - Minimum Registration" in the Graduate Catalog.
Leave of Absence
A Completed (with signatures) Leave of Absence Form must be received by the Graduate School at least 15 working days prior to the first day of the term involved. All graduate students in degree and certificate programs must register continuously for a minimum of 3 graduate credits, excluding summer session, until their degree or certificate is granted or until their status as a credential-seeking graduate student is terminated. See the catalog for more information on Registration Requirements.
Deadlines for completing final degree requirements
If you would like a diploma for the current term, you must file a diploma application, successfully complete your final defense, upload the final copy of your thesis to Scholar’s Archive (if applicable), and submit all relevant paperwork by 5:00pm on the dates in green below.
If you need more time to complete the requirements, but would like to avoid registering for the next term, you will receive a diploma for the following term if diploma application, requirements, and relevant paperwork are submitted by 5:00pm on the dates in brown below.
- For a Summer 2014 diploma,
complete by September 5th, 2014.
- Completing by September 26th, 2014
Will result in a Fall 2014 diploma.
- For a Fall 2014 diploma,
complete by December 12th, 2014.
- Completing by January 2nd, 2015
Will result in a Winter 2015 diploma.
- For a Winter 2015 diploma,
complete by March 20th, 2015.
- Completing by March 27th, 2015
Will result in a Spring 2015 diploma.
- For a Spring 2015 diploma,
complete by June 12th, 2015 *.
- Completing by June 19th, 2015
Will result in a Summer 2015 diploma **.
- For a Summer 2015 diploma,
complete by September 4th, 2015 *.
- Completing by September 23th, 2015
Will result in a Fall 2015 diploma **.
* If you plan to participate in commencement while finishing this term you will need to adhere to the Commencement Deadlines listed below.
** Adhering to theses deadlines, you are eligible to attend Commencement the following year, June 2016.
Important: Please note students completing all degree requirements after these deadlines may participate in commencement but will not receive their diploma at the ceremony.
Summer graduates can now walk at commencement. Please see our commencement page for more details.
For Spring Term
Be enrolled for minimum of three graduate credits
April 3, 2015
File a Diploma Application by logging into MyOSU, click on “Student Records”, then “Apply for Graduation”. All students graduating spring term must file a diploma application regardless of whether or not they will attend commencement.
April 24, 2015
Confirm commencement attendance by logging into MyOSU, click on “Student Records”, then “Commencement Attendance Confirmation”
May 1, 2015
Thesis and Dissertation students: Successfully complete final defense. Schedule two weeks prior with the Graduate School using the exam scheduling form.
May 29, 2015
Upload final copy of Thesis/Dissertation to ScholarsArchive and submit additional documents to Graduate School
May 29, 2015
Non-thesis students: Successfully complete final defense. Schedule two weeks prior with the Graduate School using the exam scheduling form.
June 5, 2015
Clear all remaining degree requirements, including:
- Incomplete grades must be submitted
- Examination reports must be submitted to Graduate School
- Any final revisions to uploaded thesis must be submitted
If you experience extenuating circumstances and cannot meet any of the deadlines posted here, please contact the Graduate School at (541) 737-4881.