The Graduate School is pleased to announce its call for nominations for the 2016-17 Thurgood Marshall Graduate Scholarship honoring the first black American to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. This one-year award provides a stipend of $4,000 plus graduate tuition remission through our Targeted Graduate Tuition Scholarship program for the 2016-17 academic year.
OSU's eligibility requirements align closely with the intent of the national Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Program and acknowledge Marshall's life-long commitment to justice, equality, and education. The recipient will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate School.
Evaluation of nominees will be based upon the following fellowship criteria:
- US citizen or permanent resident (Required);
- first generation to attend a University (5 points);
- documented financial need (based upon FAFSA application process) with consideration of low income status (5 points);
- meritorious academic achievement as reflected in grade point average & GRE or other test scores (20 points);
- publications & presentations (10 points);
- other professional activity (10 points);
- demonstrated community service (15 points);
- demonstrated leadership (15 points);
- demonstrated involvement in diverse communities (15 points).
Nominations must be received in the Graduate School by 5pm on February 15, 2016. Recipients will be announced by March 7, 2016.
Departments and programs may submit only one nomination and must provide a complete nomination packet containing all materials listed below (including transcripts). Incomplete nominations will not be reviewed.
- A nominating letter from the department chair or head, graduate program director, or dean of the program in which the student is enrolled
- Two additional letters of recommendation
- A statement of the student's academic goals
- A statement of the student's philosophy describing her or his demonstrated commitment to community, diversity and education
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts of all post-high school academic work, including current OSU graduate transcript if applicable. (Transcripts must be provided by the nominating department or graduate program.)
This PDF can only be submitted when the application is open.
Please upload the above materials as one PDF document using the following file name convention: