The intent of this award is to recognize outstanding teaching and professional involvement with both faculty and students by a graduate teaching assistant at Oregon State University. The recipient will receive a plaque with his or her name engraved on it and an award in the amount of $1,000. The plaque will be presented during University Day events held in Fall 2017.
An award selection committee typically will consist of one representative from the Faculty Senate Advancement of Teaching Committee, 1-3 members appointed by the Graduate Council, a graduate student who is not currently a graduate teaching assistant, and a representative of the Graduate School. The selection committee will forward its recommendation to the Dean of the Graduate School.
The successful applicant:
- Will be currently enrolled in their graduate degree program at point of nomination for this award;
- Will have demonstrated excellent professional interaction with faculty and students during his or her GTA tenure;
- Will have held a teaching assistantship for at least three terms within the preceding two years; and
- Will have demonstrated outstanding teaching based on course evaluations (as reflected in the Summary of Teaching Evaluation Scores or alternate teaching evaluation scores) and 3 letters of support provided by faculty and/or students.
Nominations must be submitted by 5PM on April 10, 2017. Awards will be announced by approximately May 12, 2017.
Departments and programs may submit only one nomination.
Nominations are solicited from students, faculty, department chairs, and/or deans who recognize outstanding contributions from a graduate teaching assistant.
All nominations must be submitted by the department head/chair or graduate program director in which the nominee is employed as a GTA.
Each nomination must include a complete document packet containing all materials listed below.
- A cover letter from department head/chair or graduate program director in which the nominee has been employed as a GTA
- No more than 3 additional letters of support. Signed and unsigned comments solicited and received as part of the teaching evaluation process are not admissible.
- A completed Summary of Courses Taught form, including at least three terms of teaching within the preceding two years
- A completed Summary of Teaching Evaluation Scores form, including departmental median scores. In some cases, college median score comparisons may be more applicable.
- The nominee's résumé or CV.
Please submit this document packet as one (1) PDF document attached to the nomination form, using the following file name convention: FROLANDER_NomineeLastName_DEPT. Incomplete nominations will not be reviewed.