I am pleased to inform you that Dr. Stephanie (Steph) Bernell has agreed to serve as interim vice provost and dean of the Graduate School effective 16 July 2018. Steph’s appointment as interim vice provost and dean follows Dr. Jennifer Brown’s recent announcement that she will become vice provost and dean of undergraduate education at the University of California-Riverside.

Steph currently serves as associate dean in the Graduate School, providing leadership to academic program directors and graduate faculty on issues related to program assessment, graduate policy and student progress. She holds an appointment as associate professor in the School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences. As interim vice provost and dean, Steph will serve as a member of the Provost’s Senior Leadership Team and collaborate with the academic deans to advance the University’s goals related to excellence and distinction in graduate education, increased diversity in the graduate student population, graduate student retention and success, and efficient and effective administration of graduate program applications, admissions and enrollment.

A search for the next vice provost and dean of the Graduate School will begin as soon as possible. Please send nominations to Gigi Bruce, Special Assistant to the Provost.

Please join me in welcoming Steph to her new role as interim vice provost and dean. Please also join me on June 27, 3:30-5:00 pm, in MU Horizon Room, as we gather to celebrate Jennifer’s accomplishments at Oregon State and wish her well in her new role at UC Riverside.

Sincerely,

Edward Feser

Provost and Executive Vice President

May 31, 2018